Who we are
We are a local independent charity with a big vision - we want to live in a community (well, a world really!) where unpaid carers get fully recognised, valued and supported.
We provide a community for unpaid carers with access to trusted information, advice, breaks and support with the aim of enabling them to:
Maintain or improve their health and wellbeing;
Take control of their caring role;
Get connected with others in a similar situation to them.
In addition, we work with the wider community to improve recognition and support for unpaid carers.
This is an ideal time to join us as Chair, as we embark on an exciting period of digital transformation.
We know that unpaid carers have much better outcomes when they are connected and have access to the support they need. We provide trusted information, advice and support to unpaid carers of all ages, enabling them to maintain or improve their health and wellbeing, take control of their caring role and connect with others in similar situations. In addition, we are focusing on our work with the wider community to improve recognition and support for unpaid carers.
We are committed to providing diversity and equality of opportunity for all and we would particularly like to hear from people with any of the following experiences:
- Lived experience of providing unpaid care
- Marketing & Campaigning
- PR & Communications
- Influencing change
- Personal commitment to making a difference to the lives of unpaid carers.
- Ability to inspire confidence and command respect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship-building ability.
- Strong networking skills.
- Experience of chairing meetings and events in a participatory manner.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to lead change.
- A good listener who is able to motivate staff and volunteers.
What we offer
- An opportunity to develop and exercise leadership, strategic management and governance skills in a local charity.
- Ways for you to ‘give something back’ by applying your knowledge, skills and experience in helping us to be more effective.
- Connection to the wider third sector and its community of supporters.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children/young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All applicants are subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check and at least two independent references.
The Chair’s priorities
- Provide leadership to the organisation in partnership with the CEO. Develop and maintain a productive and supportive working relationship with the CEO.
- Provide clarity of purpose with the Board discussing and agreeing the core values of the organisation and that decisions made advance the purpose and values of the organisation
- Provide support to the Carers’ Centre CEO and Senior Management Team in developing and delivering the vision, mission and core values.
- Promote a cohesive Board and create the environment for a high performing board team that enables good decision making and manages conflict of interest and probity transparently.
- Develop the knowledge and capabilities of the Board, ensuring an appropriate mix of professional skills and life experience, as well as a Board that is representative of the unpaid carers it serves.
- Act as an ambassador for the Charity, raising its profile in the wider community and developing new opportunities.
- Work with the Board to oversee the continued development of Carers’ Centre strategy and priorities.
- Ensure the Board operates within its charitable objectives and communicates its strategic direction.
- Ensure the Board fulfils its duties, maintaining the sound financial health of the Charity.
- Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process.
- Together with the CEO, develop and maintain good relationships and communication with donors and supporters.
- Represent the Carers’ Centre at external functions, meetings and events.
- Support the CEO with regular supervision and conduct an annual appraisal of the CEO and communicate this to the trustees.
In the first instance contact David Trumper at [email protected] to arrange an informal conversation.