Who we are
Bgen is a specialist support network for professional plant and natural world educators. We help our members to connect people and plants in innovative and engaging ways.
Bgen aims to integrate our members into an energetic network of like-minded people. We do this through online events, face to face training and networking events and our informative, topical Annual Conference.
Bgen supports and builds capacity in educators and community engagers in natural and plant science, biodiversity and
We currently have five positions available on the Board, as several of our Trustees have come to the end of their three-year appointment or have moved on to new ventures.
The Botanic Gardens Education Network (Bgen) is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) aiming to promote and advance the delivery of education in member organisations. We are a specialist support and training network for professionals working in education related to plants and the natural world.
We have over 300 members, most of whom are educators in botanic gardens, parks and other centres of environmental education and public engagement in the UK and Ireland.
Bgen is led by a governing Board, made up of members who serve three-year terms.
The Bgen Board oversees our programmes and operations, and leads the delivery of member communications, training days and conferences. Each Board member serves on one specialised workstream group: Training & Conference, Fundraising, Communications & Membership and Governance.
Who are we looking for?
As a member of the Board, you will work with the other Trustees to develop Bgen’s strategic direction and shape the work of the organisation. The general duties of the Trustees are to:
- Contribute to discussions about Board business, governance and strategic oversight
- Provide specific expertise where the Trustees’ knowledge and skills will be invaluable in supporting our objectives and activities
- Act as an ambassador as appropriate, promoting the work of Bgen as a key networking training organisation
In addition to these general duties there are actions specific to the workstream you join.
We are particularly looking for those with an interest in joining our Governance or Training workstreams.
Benefits to you
- Be able to share your passion for education related to plants and the natural world, promoting this beyond your place of work, both nationally and internationally
- Join a small team of positive, friendly and supportive people
- Input into and develop the future direction of Bgen
- Be able to use your current skills to support the organisation
- Develop your skills in a range of areas including strategic planning, decision making, communication, management, fundraising, and finance
- Stand out from others in your CV and when applying for jobs
Governance – Includes Chair and Vice Chair Roles
- Governance policy/procedures development, reviews and implementation
- Support the Bgen Co-ordinator, including regular 1-to-1 discussions
- Liaise with the Treasury Group to ensure Bgen’s financial growth and viability
- Have an overview on progress of Bgen strategy and activities
- Advise on risk / issues and suggest solutions with Co-ordinator
- Advise and support workstream leads
- To develop a varied, high-quality training programme which responds to identified member needs
- Plan, promote and deliver the annual Bgen conference, working with the Bgen Co-ordinator and other workstreams to achieve this.
- To liaise with the treasury group about budget requirements for the training programme
Training/Conference Key responsibilities:
- To develop a varied,
high-quality training programme which responds to identified member needs
- Plan, promote and
deliver the annual Bgen conference, working with the Bgen Co-ordinator and
other workstreams to achieve this
- To liaise with the
treasury group about budget requirements for the training programme
Please email Sophie Edwards, Bgen Coordinator [email protected] if you are interested in getting involved.
You can talk to a Trustee about the role if you would like more information.
The closing date for this round of Expressions of Interest is 9am on Wednesday 10th January 2024.