Are you our next Trustee Chair?
Blue Cross is a national charity that has been helping sick, injured, and homeless pets since 1897. It has grown into one of the largest and best loved pet welfare charities in the country. Pets can make such an amazing difference to the people they live with, and Blue Cross offer lifelong support and advice to help that unique relationship thrive.
This charity has an exciting future and ambitious plans, so if you are passionate about pets and are driven to support this fantastic organisation then please read on.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a talented, collegiate and unified Board who have a progressive strategy which they deliver by providing inclusive and inspiring leadership for their people, volunteers and supporters.
The Chair will work closely with and hold the Board and Executive Team to account for Blue Cross’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees. They will also ensure that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance and advancement of the Charity’s purpose and values. In addition, they will ensure strengths, experience and knowledge from the Trustee and Executive Teams are used so the charity can fully benefit from this rich source of talent.
The Chair will also support the Chief Executive, providing advice and a ‘sounding board’ to ensure that the Trustees function as a unit and work closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. They will act as an ambassador and the public face of Blue Cross in partnership with the Chief Executive.
Blue Cross is looking for an experienced, inspirational, and credible leader, who brings excellent communication, networking and people skills along with passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives, values and cause. They should be a strategic thinker, have an inclusive leadership style which creates a culture where everyone can be their ‘best self’ and committed to supporting this amazing charity.
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation.
- Successful track record of achievement through their career.
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders.
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events; recognising and leveraging the strengths of the collective, ensuring all voices are heard and guiding decision making when there isn’t a consensus.
Knowledge & Skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the charity sector and current issues affecting it.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together.
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues.
- Good understanding of charity governance issues.
- Relevant political, and/or government body, and/or boards and/or authorities’ connections.
- Experience of influencing the development of new policies or legislation that improve the welfare of animals.
- Experience of growing brand awareness through different channels of communication.
Please download the Candidate Information Pack to read the extended versions of the Principal Responsibilities and the Person Specification.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for the role of Chair, please include the following with your application:
- An up-to-date CV with the details of two referees (we will not contact them without your prior consent).
- A supporting statement, detailing how you meet the criteria for the role, and your motivations for applying.
All applications should be sent to [email protected] with ‘Blue Cross’ in the subject heading.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Melissa Baxter at [email protected] / 07789 985229.
Closing date for applications: Monday 23rd October 2023
Interviews with Blue Cross: Friday 17th November 2023, in person at Blue Cross, Burford
Blue Cross holds inclusion as a core organisational value and positively encourages applications regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity. You are welcome at Blue Cross, without the need to hide any part of who you are.