Siobhan Davies Studios has been part of the contemporary dance landscape since the 1980s. We are proud to be artist and female-led.
Our RIBA award-winning public arts building is located in the diverse and densely populated area of Elephant and Castle. We share our space with Independent Dance, our consortium partners in Arts Council England’s National Portfolio.
At our studios, we run activities that welcome people to be together in ways that prioritise sharing and collaboration. We host social gatherings, spaces to co-work and create, classes for all abilities, performances, talks and free exhibitions.
Since leadership changes in 2021, our programme has been shaped by, and centres, people who have experienced marginalisation, displacement, exclusion and violence.
The objective of the Board of Trustees is to provide wide-ranging guidance and support to the organisation, using collective experience and expertise to help successfully deliver our programme of work. The SDS Board of Trustees currently has eight members.
We are recruiting a Chair to lead the organisation. The new member of the team will join SDS at an exciting time, under the current leadership phase headed up by Co-Artistic Directors Annie Pui Ling Lok and Kat Bridge.
The Chair will:
- Advocate for the organisation in our artistic and local contexts
- Oversee the strategic direction of the organisation, with Board, Directors and Team
- Be a critical friend and provide support to the Co-Artistic Directors and Executive Director
- Support new ways of thinking and embed the collaborative approach of SDS at Board level, leading by example through inviting discussion, challenge and change.
- Ensure organisational compliance and responsible governance, supporting trustees to take full part in governing SDS
- Work with the Treasurer and Executive Director, to take responsibility for the financial performance of Siobhan Davies Studios. This may include representing the organisation to Arts Council England and other high-level funders as required.
- Chair Board meetings, working with the Directors to set the agenda and share information with trustees.
- Attend our events to maintain a connection with our work.
The Chair will be:
- Inspired by the work, vision and values of SDS
- Experienced in, and enthusiastic about, collaborative working
- Ready to challenge and evolve our social and environmental responsibilities as an arts organisation
- Able to bring fresh thinking and knowledge about arts organisations and governance
- Knowledgeable about underrepresentation in the arts and culture sector
- Able to ensure trustees with less experience are contributing and heard
For further information about Siobhan Davies Studios and the role requirements, please download the Chair Application Pack.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this fantastic opportunity, please provide us with the following:
- A CV with details of two referees (we will not contact them without your prior consent)
- A supporting statement which outlines how you meet the criteria for the role and your motivations for applying
Closing date for applications: Monday 19th February 2024
Interviews/meetings with Siobhan Davies Studios: Week commencing 11th March 2024
- chair-application-pack-siobhan-davies-studios.pdf - Download