VoiceAbility makes sure that people are heard when it matters most. They have been supporting people to have their say in decisions about their health, care and wellbeing for over 40 years. They are an independent charity and one of the UK’s largest providers of advocacy and involvement services.
VoiceAbility works with people who are often the most marginalised in society and by joining as Chair you will have the opportunity to contribute to their excellent work and impact.
It is an exciting time to join, with an effective board, accomplished leadership team and skilled staff, the charity is well placed to achieve more.
The Chair is a critical role within VoiceAbility, providing facilitative leadership of the Board, supporting the delivery of impact and high-quality services empowering clients and their voices. The Chair will be responsible for:
- The effective governance of the charity
- Ensuring that the Board works collaboratively, enabling each Trustee to fulfil their duties and responsibilities and holding them to account for doing so
- Facilitating the Board’s strategic thinking and decision-making, ensuring robust governance, regular horizon scanning and assessment of future risks and opportunities
- Providing support and constructive challenge to the Chief Executive and the leadership team as they work to achieve the ambitious objectives agreed with the Board
We are looking for an experienced and inclusive leader, with a strong appreciation of, and empathy for, the issues facing VoiceAbility’s clients, who can demonstrate wholehearted commitment to the charity, and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to convene a Board of Trustees to define and deliver a common vision and set of objectives
- A steadfast commitment to fairness and to promoting diversity, equality and inclusion throughout the organisation
- Commitment to ensuring that clients’ voices are represented throughout the organisation, including at board level, and that the governance of VoiceAbility is accessible and transparent
- Strong governance experience
- A strong social impact focus coupled with a strategic mindset, strong financial acumen, business understanding and the ability to work at pace
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to governance
- A sense of humility and a collaborative working approach
- Good, independent judgement and an ability to think creatively and assess opportunities
- A commitment to and awareness of safeguarding
- Honesty and integrity, a willingness and ability to act in the best interests of the charity at all times
- Previous Chair experience Demonstrable understanding of civil society
- An appetite for embracing risk and driving ambition
- Lived experience as a disabled person and/or of using social care or long-term health services
For further information about VoiceAbility, the role responsibilities and the person they are looking for, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
How to Apply
To apply to become the Chair of the Board of VoiceAbility please provide:
- A copy of your CV with details of two referees (they will not be contacted without your consent
- A supporting statement outlining your suitability and motivations for applying
Please ensure that your application fully addresses the requirements for the role. So that we can ensure that everyone can participate fairly in the recruitment process, please let us know if you will require any special provision as a result of any disability should you be called for interview.
All applications should be sent to [email protected] with your name and ‘VoiceAbility’ in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: Monday 13th November 2023
Interviews: Week commencing 4th December 2023
All interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams. Should video conference not be practical, please still apply and we will discuss reasonable adjustments to the interview process if you are selected.
VoiceAbility recognises that Boards from a diverse background perform better. We are committed to achieving greater diversity in our board, and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
- voiceability---candidate-information---chair-of-trustees.pdf - Download