Who we are
The trustees and staff work closely with the National Advisory Council (NAC), a group of 12 beneficiaries elected by the whole beneficiary community, to ensure that the Trust is responding effectively to the needs of beneficiaries.
The trustees, NAC and staff worked in partnership to create the charity’s first ‘vision’ and also five strategic goals which have now been developed into a five-year strategic plan.
The RoleThis is an exciting opportunity to join the trustee body of a truly unique organisation, at a crucial time in their beneficiaries’ lives, to help them achieve their ambitious vision and goals.
The PersonThe Thalidomide Trust are looking for individuals who can demonstrate their suitability for the role of trustee by meeting the following criteria:
- Experience in an area of health which is relevant to our beneficiaries as they age (e.g. pain management, rehabilitation, musculoskeletal problems, cardio-vascular and neurological problems, mental health).
- Current or recent experience in a patient-facing role within the NHS.
- Good current understanding of the NHS and the interface between health and social care.
- A caring, empathetic and non-judgemental attitude.
- A team player with a collaborative approach and experience of effective partnership working with service users.
- Available to attend three full day board meetings and at least two half-day committee meetings each year.
- Knowledge of current health policy and an understanding of the implications for our beneficiaries.
- Interest in, and an appreciation of, how disability impacts on broader health.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment and evidence of valuing the contribution of different disciplines in providing a holistic model of care.
- An understanding of different approaches to self-care and enabling effective health self-management
- Strong IT skills and an understanding of current technology as it applies to health and social care and to organisation management.
- Term: 4 years
- Time Commitment: 1 day per month (London)
- For further information about this role, please download the Information Document.
- Visit The Thalidomide Trust website here.
- Closing date: Friday 11th October 2019
- Interviews with The Thalidomide Trust: Week commencing 28th October or 4th November 2019
How to ApplyTo apply for this position please provide the following two pieces of information:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of your achievements in each role and details of two referees.
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the criteria as outlined in the person specification.