Who we are
We are a long-standing, disability charity based in Huntingdon. We provide benefits advice, guidance and support for disabled people and their carers. Support is given over the phone, by email and face-to-face.
Disability Huntingdonshire (DISH) is searching for a dynamic and dedicated individual to serve as Chair on our Board as the charity continues to grow and face the challenges of a changing economic, demographic, and political landscape.
Our goal is to support people in accessing the welfare and practical support they need, including disabled children and adults, unpaid family carers and older people.
As a charity, DISH is keen to improve its diversity and to have a board that reflects the lived experiences of the communities it supports. DISH warmly welcomes and encourages applications from candidates with varied skills and experiences or who have had experience with the welfare benefits system.
In addition to the role of a Trustee, the Chair of Trustees will have additional responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to DISH and the board by ensuring that everyone remains focused on the delivery of the charity’s charitable purposes in order to provide greater public benefit.
- Chairing and facilitating board meetings.
- Checking that decisions taken at meetings are implemented.
- Representing DISH at meetings, events, and functions and acting as a spokesperson for the charity.
- Leading the process of supporting and appraising the performance of the Chief Executive Officer.
- Sitting on appointment and disciplinary panels.
With the Chief Executive Officer:
- Planning the annual cycle of board meetings and other general meetings where required.
- Setting agendas for meetings.
- Developing the Board of Trustees, including induction, training, appraisal, and succession planning.
- Addressing conflict within the charity and liaising with the Chief Executive Officer to achieve this.
- To keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs and provide support as appropriate.
- chair-of-trustees-recruitment-pack.pdf - Download