Who we are
Music of Life is a UK charity that provides tailored individual musical tuition, performing opportunities, group workshops and a range of associated services for children and young people with a range of disabilities. Led by a team of professional, enthusiastic and committed people the charity uses music to enhance personal development and raise self-esteem in young people with disabilities who are interested in music making but would otherwise struggle to afford access to it.
This is an exciting time to join the Music of Life Board. They want to strengthen their current board of trustees to include a wider range of knowledge, skills and expertise to support future development plans to meet a growing demand on their services. On this occasion, the Board is particularly keen to recruit a trustee with senior level experience in developing new income streams who is also able to improve the charity’s overall fundraising expertise.
In addition to the statutory duties of a trustee, key elements of the role will be:
- Advise and actively assist in the diversification of Music of Life income streams, to develop an increasingly sustainable funding base:
- Individual giving
- Corporate sponsorship
- Fundraising events
- Other e.g. legacies
- Identify and contact potential supporters who can contribute to Music of Life financially or in-kind.
- Determine the fundraising resources and activities required as the charity grows.
- Co-lead the recruitment of fundraising staff - internal or external - in conjunction with the CEO.
- Evaluate the potential for developing a team of volunteers to organise fundraising events on behalf of the charity.
- Support the CEO and Trusts and Foundations fundraiser as appropriate.
- Ensure professional development of the fundraising staff through personal mentoring and external training.
- Work with the Treasurer to agree the annual income budget and regularly update estimates for the year.
- Contribute to the development of the 3-year plan working with the CEO and other Board members.
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee, successful candidate will have:
- Proven success in raising funds or in delivering growth in a business/organisation.
- Successful experience of operating on a board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to achieve organisational objectives.
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity.
- A passion for helping children from disadvantaged backgrounds. Ideally, a specific interest in disability and/or music.
- Out-going and enthusiastic with a warm personality and well-developed network.
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive.
- Music of Life Trustees will serve a 3-year term and will be eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms.
- Up to 1 ½ - 2 days per month. Board meetings are held quarterly in Central London on weekday mornings and usually last 2 hours. Focused task force meetings are held when required by conference call or at a central London location.
For more information please download the Candidate Information Pack.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications: Friday 7th February 2020
For an informal conversation, please contact: Marsha Gosling [email protected] / 07818 509690
- CandidateInformationforMusicofLife-FundraisingTrustee.pdf - Download