Who we are
Harm Reduction International is a leading NGO dedicated to reducing the negative health, social and legal impacts of drug use and drug policy. We promote the rights of people who use drugs and their communities through research and advocacy to help achieve a world where drug policies and laws contribute to healthier, safer societies.
The organisation is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
The Treasurer oversees the financial matters of the charity in line with best practice and in accordance with the charity's governing documents and UK legal requirements. The Treasurer works with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to report to the Board on the financial health of the charity.
Summary Role Description
Time commitment: Two in-person Board meetings in London per year (1.5 days per meeting); four Executive Committee calls per year (calls set by the Board Work Plan 2020-21).
- Liaise with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place and followed;
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts, financial statements and financial reports to the Board;
- Ensure that the financial resources of the charity meet its present and future needs and are within the charities objectives; and
- Support the Executive Director and Finance Manager to develop and implement appropriate financial and reserves policies.
General Duties as Trustee:
- Ensure that the charity has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction, and pursues its objectives as defined in its governing documents.
- Ensure the charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- Ensure the charity complies with its governing documents.
- Contribute actively to the Board’s role in giving strategic direction to the charity, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets, and evaluating performance against targets as appropriate/required.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity.
- Ensure the financial stability of the charity.
- Act as guardian of the charity’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application.
- Appoint the Executive Director and monitor her performance.
- Safeguard the good name of the charity, and its organisational behaviour; ensuring that the charity complies with all legal/regulatory requirements.
- Maintain the sensitive or confidential information of the charity.
- Ensure that the charity’s governance is of the highest possible standard.
- Apply unique experience and skills to the needs of the charity, as needed.
- HRI-Trustee-Treasurer-2020.pdf - Download