Who we are
HARP is Southend-on-Sea’s leading homelessness charity.
On average they help around 1,000 local people every year to overcome or avoid homelessness. In addition to providing essential short-term emergency shelter, food, clothing and washing facilities, they work to identify the root causes of homelessness, creating tailored support for each person’s circumstances. HARP achieves success by providing structure, purpose and training opportunities, and by providing longer-term supported housing, empowering people to take steps to leave homelessness behind and ultimately live independently in the community.
HARP's current Chair is retiring after 16 years, leaving the charity in a strong position with exciting projects on the horizon. HARP are now looking for their next Chair to continue providing excellent leadership and direction to the Board. The aim of the role is to:
- Enable the Trustees to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of HARP, as a charity and a company limited by guarantee.
- Ensure that the organisation complies with its governing documents, with charity and company law, and with any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensure that HARP pursues and fulfils its charitable objects as defined in its governing documents.
- Oversee the work of the Chief Executive and his or her staff team as they work together to achieve HARP’s aims.
Time Committment: 2 days per month
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee of the charity, HARP are looking for an individual with strong and visible passion and commitment to their objectives and cause. The Chair must also meet the following requirements:
- Personal gravitas to lead an organisation.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role.
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively.
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity.
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel.
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through your career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the homelessness and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
For comprehensive information about HARP and an extended version of the roles description and person specification, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
How to Apply
To express your interest in this role, please provide the following:
- An up-to-date CV
- A supporting statement that outlines your motivation for applying and addresses the criteria in the Person Specification
If you would like to have an informal and confidential discussion about the role, please contact Melissa Baxter on 07789 985229 / [email protected]
An indicative timetable for candidates is as follows:
Closing Date: Monday 9th August 2021
Preliminary interviews with Trustees Unlimited: Week commencing 16th August 2021
Interviews with HARP: Week commencing 30th August 2021
- Work-With-HARP-Chair-of-Trustees-FinalCompressed.pdf - Download