Who we are
Home-Start is a family support charity, helping families with young children deal with whatever life throws at them. We help families affected by isolation, bereavement, illness, mental health issues, financial insecurity and more. Our local community network of trained volunteers and expert support help families with young children through their challenging times. That’s because the earliest years make the biggest impact: we make sure those years count so that no child’s future is limited.
We are specifically interested in people with some of the following experiences:
- We want to ensure the voice of local Home Starts is informing our governance and welcome applications from those with experience of local Home-Start work, whether as a previous trustee, employee, volunteer or family supported by a local Home-Start.
- We are seeking candidates with experience of children’s services, family support and/or early years and in particular would welcome those with an understanding of children and family policy and provision across the four nations of the UK.
- We would like candidates with strong expertise in fundraising and marketing – perhaps in the third sector but would also welcome individuals with a commercial and financial marketing experience and with expertise around data and digital transformation.
- We are keen to bring in further diversity and perspective to our Board. This might include experiences of life on low income, your own challenges in parenting or in childhood or receiving support, of migration or being in a minoritised racial community, of being LGBT+ or in a family with this experience, or living with a disability. Your diverse experience can help us as a Board better understand the wider range of families we aim to support.
Previous experience of being a trustee is welcome but not necessary – we can provide a supportive environment for those wishing to gain their first trustee role.
- hsuk-trustee-pack.pdf - Download