Who we are
We are LNAA and we aspire to save lives every day. We are led by our values – Teamwork, Respect, Innovation, Compassion. We serve a population of almost 1.6m across Lincs & Notts. Since we first took to the air in 1994, we have been tasked to over 26,000 emergencies. Accidents and medical emergencies can change lives forever and that’s why we are committed to saving lives and providing cutting-edge, pre-hospital critical care. We are a vital part of your community, your lives and your safety.
We are looking for an individual with previous Charity Board experience who will work with fellow Trustees, the CEO and wider Leadership Team. The Chair will lead the Board in holding the CEO and Leadership Team to account for the effective delivery of the charity’s Vision, Mission and Strategy, as well as providing leadership to all Trustees to ensure they fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. Through support and constructive challenge, the Chair will ensure the Board works cohesively with the CEO and the wider Leadership Team to achieve agreed objectives.
Lead the Board, ensuring the charity acts within its Articles of Association and that all activities are governed appropriately to reflect a high-performing air ambulance. This will include the following key areas:
- Strategic development
- Risk Management
- Supporting/challenging the CEO and wider Leadership Team on delivery of the agreed strategy
- Monitoring overall organizational performance
- Working to the Charity Governance Code
- Lead the Board in setting clear expectations for effective Board Meetings and the contributions expected, alongside the values and behaviours of LNAA.
- Ensure impartiality and objectivity in decision making.
- Develop and nurture supportive working relationships between with Trustees, the CEO and Leadership Team
- Work within our Code of Conduct
- Undertake an effective annual review of Board performance and contributions of all Trustees, including one on one meetings.
We are seeking an experienced and inclusive leader who can bring strategic insight, commitment and integrity to the leadership of our governance and Board. In addition to chairing skills and a track record of executive and non-executive leadership, candidates must demonstrate a commitment to our purpose, mission, values and behaviours.The following person specification criteria apply:
- Sound understanding of the role of Chair and Trustee and the relationship between Chair, the Board and CEO including a good understanding of governance
- Ability to think strategically, synthesise complex information, weigh up options, measure risks and build consensus amongst Board members
- Collaborative in style, leads by example encouraging fellow Trustees to contribute and to feel engaged and valued
- A good understanding of the socioeconomic situation of the communities in which we operate
- A proven commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Experience of building productive external relationships
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Drive, energy and enthusiasm for LNAA and its mission
- High levels of integrity and compassion
The Board and Committees each meet at least four times a year. There are also at least two other sessions annually, such as strategic development. In person Board Meetings are the norm although occasional on-line attendance is permitted.
The Chair meets monthly with the CEO and holds an annual 1-to-1 with each Trustee. Other Ad-hoc duties such as attendance at events, panels and working groups. We anticipate a total yearly commitment of approximately 30 days.
How to apply
Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance is an equal opportunities employer, committed to equalopportunities policies. We welcome applications from all backgrounds so that our Board mirrors the community we serve.
We welcome applications from anyone regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, heritage, gender, sexuality, religion, socio-economic background or other difference.
If you would like to apply, please supply the following (email via: [email protected] or by post to CEO, LNAA HQ, HEMS Way, Bracebridge Heath, Lincoln, LN4 2QW) by 20 October 2023:
- A detailed CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements.
- A covering letter (maximum two sides) highlighting your suitability for the role and how you meet the person specification.
- Please note that the covering letter is an important part of your application and will be assessed as part of your full application.
- Please provide details of two professional referees together with a brief statement of their relationship to you and over what period of time they have known you.
- Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
- chair-of-board-recruitment-pack-2023-compressed.pdf - Download