Who we are
Listen to Act is a growing, independent charity looking for three new Board Members to support its mission to improve health, care, and housing services across London.
Could you be our next trustee?
Our recognised engagement and involvement programmes facilitate and energise conversations around what good services look like. Working alongside service providers, local authorities, and local people, we facilitate conversations that help to identify what issues need addressing, and use what’s been learnt to advise teams on constructive changes and next steps. We also host Healthwatch Enfield as part of our commitment to health services.
For a decade, our experience of working at a grassroots level with people who find it difficult to get heard due to age, ethnicity, mental or physical health condition, or disability has shaped the person-centred approach we offer today.
Becoming a trustee for Listen to Act is a rewarding and varied opportunity. You will play a key role in contributing to our Charity’s mission by overseeing our strategic vision and influencing future projects to maximise our social impact. We’re particularly interested in candidates with skills in one or more of the following areas: community engagement, HR, communication, and public relations.
Whether you’re an experienced trustee or would like to take your first step at Board level, we want to hear from you. We’re aiming to have a Board that represents the breadth of diversity within the city, so please consider applying, if this sounds like an opportunity for you.
To take a strategic overview of the work and activities of Listen to Act, giving direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To ensure that the organisation complies with charity law, company law, any other relevant legislation, and pursues its objects as defined in its articles of association.
- To ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuit of achieving its strategic objectives.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation and ensuring the proper investment of the charity’s funds.
- Utilise any skills, knowledge or experience you have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing guidance on new initiatives, and other issues in which a trustee has special expertise.
- To represent the views of Listen to Act participants fairly and without bias, including adherence to the Listen to Act policies of equality of opportunity and non-discriminatory practice.
- To sit on recruitment, appraisal and disciplinary panels as required.
- To work within the ethos and values of Listen to Act, including adherence to the Listen to Act Code of Conduct and relevant policies and procedures while acting in an official capacity as a Listen to Act representative.
Knowledge, Experience and Values
- Strategic awareness and ability to exercise sound independent judgement, common sense, and diplomacy.
- Politically astute, with the ability to grasp relevant issues and understand relationships between interested parties.
- Willing to take initiative and keep well informed on national and local health and social care issues.
- Good communicator and be capable of playing an active role at regular meetings and contribute to the discussion, informing policy and financial decisions.
- Ability to distinguish between the agenda of Listen to Act and own personal views.
- Capacity and desire to give time to the role with agreed commitment adherence to the Nolan Principles of Public Life.
- Commitment to equality and diversity.
- Previous board or equivalent corporate or managerial level experience in a private, public, or voluntary sector organisation.
- Able to communicate with a range of stakeholders, including commissioners and members of the public.
Link to job pack (PDF)
- board-role-application-listen-to-act--0-.pdf - Download