Who we are
Little Village is a registered charity. Little Village works like a foodbank, but for clothes, toys and equipment for babies and children up to the age of five. We collect great quality donations from local families and get these out to other local families in need via friendly drop-in sessions.
We work closely with other local organisations to achieve our goals and engage our target families. We make it as easy as possible for local families to support each other, and we promote sustainable living. All the items we pass on are gifts, from one family to another, given with love.
Since launching in 2016, Little Village has grown fast. We now have three sites up and running in Wandsworth, Camden and Southwark. We have fulfilled 3500 requests for help and have passed on nearly £1.5 million of great quality donations.
We are one of the three largest baby banks in the UK and demand for our support has risen sharply year on year. So far in 2019, we have already surpassed the numbers of families we saw in the whole of 2018. We expect to support well over 2000 children under 5 this year, from across the whole of London.
Our work has been recognised by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who selected Little Village as one of four charities that members of the public might wish to donate to in lieu of sending gifts on the birth of baby Archie.
Most recently, we have recently been awarded £1.3m funding by the National Lottery to support out work over the next 5 years.
- Commitment to the values of Little Village.
- Understanding and acceptance of legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Leading and chairing the finance committee of the Board
- Attending Board meetings.
- Overseeing the financial affairs of Little Village, to ensure that they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practices
- Assisting in the preparation of Little Village’s financial strategy
- Overseeing production of the annual budget and proposing its adoption to the Board of Trustees
- Overseeing financial risk-management
- Ensuring annual accounts are submitted to the relevant regulatory bodies in a timely fashion, including liaising with external auditors when necessary.
- Monitoring the financial standing of the charity and reporting to the Board of - Trustees regarding the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources as well as cash-flow forecasting, income streams and out-going expenses
- Supporting the Finance Manager to ensure compliance with financial policies and budgets put in place by the Board
Desired skills and qualifications
- Qualified accountant preferably with experience of charity fundraising and financing practices.
- Financial literacy and ability to lead our finance strategy at Board level
- The ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities
- The ability to communicate and explain financial information the Board, keeping in mind that not everyone will have financial/accounting experience.
- The ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities.
- Ideally experience of Trusts or other grant giving bodies
Skills and knowledge required for the role
Duration: 3-year term of office
- Attending Board meetings (usually lasting 3 hours) approximately 6 times a year.
- Attending finance committee (which is a sub-group of the Board) meetings. - The finance committee self-determines its meetings.
- Additionally, oversight and preparation time will be required to meet the key responsibilities and duties of the role as outlined above.
Salary: This is an unpaid Trustee role
Location: The Board meets at various locations around inner London. Oversight and preparation hours can be done remotely.
Please send a short covering letter outlining why you are interested in this role and what you would bring to it, along with your CV.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Wednesday 27th November and invited for a first round interview on 3rd or 4th December.
Second round interviews will take place during the week beginning 9th December.
All interviews will be held at a venue near Kings Cross St Pancras.