Who we are
We are a new charity established to preserve and create space for the creative sector in Margate. Our mission is to establish a variety of accessible and inspiring creative spaces that provides benefit to the community, creative sector and local economy in perpetuity. Our vision is a thriving, resilient and innovative creative sector that provides inclusive enterprise, employment, and learning opportunities for people living and working in Margate and the surrounding areas.
We are looking for candidates with a proven track record in one or more of the following areas:
- Finance – role of treasurer, financial modelling, tax, SORP and charity accounting. Note: we
expect all Trustees to have basic financial literacy and understand how to read the balance
sheet and accounts, where appropriate we will offer training.
- Organisational Management – experience of management, polices, procedures, regulations
and governance relevant to our charitable status and a small organisation.
- Property – Experienced property professionals, ideally with membership of RICS or an
equivalent professional body, with experience of asset acquisition and/or management.
- HR/ personnel – experience and qualifications in people management.
- Environmental, Social and Governance. Experience of implementing and managing ESG
within a real estate environment
We are keen to find a blend of sector experience across public, private and third sector, so experience does not have to come from the charity sector.
In addition, we are looking for Trustees to provide us with:
- Connections to networks of people whose expertise the Trust may benefit, and a willingness
to use those connections for the Trust’s benefit.
- Experience of operating as a trustee or non-executive director (across any sector), or evidence of transferable skills including:
- Strategic capability, sharp mind and good judgement
- Ability to build strong relationships and act as an ambassador, commanding respect and influencing key stakeholders within own sphere of expertise or more widely.
- Demonstrate understanding of respective roles and responsibilities of nonexecutives, executives, and of collective decision-making.
- A mind-set aligned to the Trust and its Board of Trustees, including:
- Independent; able to challenge and support.
- Creative and enthusiastic about the arts and making a difference.
- Team player
- Honest and transparent
This is a still a new Board, so ideal for someone with Board experience who is willing and able to commit time and energy to developing the governance and strategy of the organisation, working alongside the Executive team.
The Trust values diversity and must represent Margate and the wider area for the entrepreneurial, creative and diverse place that it is. The Board will need a diverse group of bold and brilliant people who do a wide variety of things at work, have lived a variety of lives, and are ready for the challenge of being a Trustee.
We are committed to social justice and tackling under-representation on charity boards of people from certain backgrounds. We want to be as inclusive as possible from the outset. We particularly encourage applications from those who are under-represented on Boards, especially those from the global majority, including those of African diaspora heritage, South Asian, East Asian and South-East Asian heritage, mixed heritage, and those who have faced other socio-economic barriers, those who identify as LGBTQ+, and disabled people.
As a trustee, you would provide on-going strategic direction, critical challenge and helping hands to ensure the Trust has the biggest impact possible. We want our Trustees to support and provide governance of the highest quality and rigour as the organisation enters its first phases.
The Board currently meets bi-monthly for around 2 hours. We have established two subcommittees, Finance & Resources and Property which currently meet on alternate months to the main Board meeting, we would expect all Trustees to join one of the sub-committees. We expect trustees to take a keen interest in Margate and the wider area and commit time to being here and understanding local beneficiaries and the sector in the area.
How to Apply
Please send a CV, covering letter to [email protected]. We also ask you to complete an equal opportunity monitoring form. The information on the form will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only.
Make sure you explain your suitability for the role and your affinity for our work within your CV and covering letter. The covering letter should explain why you want the role and what you would contribute to the Trust.
Please give one or more concrete examples of your experience/background/skills and how these relate to the person specification.
We would also like two character references (not family members). We will only contact them at the due diligence stage.
For an informal, confidential discussion about these roles, please contact Jan King, the Start-Up Director, [email protected]. She will respect the privacy of any initial approach or expression of interest in this role, whether formal or informal.
Deadline for submission of the CV and letter is 05 June. We intend to hold interviews before the end of June.
- trustee-recruitment-pack-may-.pdf - Download