Who we are
About Us Mummy’s Star was established 10 years ago in memory of Mair Wallroth. Following her diagnosis of breast cancer in pregnancy, Mair and her family struggled to find the information and tailored support they needed to help navigate cancer treatment during pregnancy and the emotional challenges they faced, balancing all this with a new-born baby and toddler. Mummy’s Star was set up to ensure no other mother/birthing person diagnosed with cancer in pregnancy or postnatally should feel i
The charity is looking for new Trustees to join their Board. We are interested in hearing from people with a broad range of skills and experience and are keen to diversify the current Board.
As we celebrate 10 years of providing support, it is an exciting time to join Mummy’s Star as a Trustee to help us shape our future to ensure that we can continue to provide support to those that need us. We have broadened the conversation about cancer and pregnancy nationwide, and internationally too despite our small stature. We now must sustain what we have built and help take the charity to that next level where we can elevate the voices of those we support, so that their needs are not only understood, but are also prioritised and used to inform policy and planning.
We are the only specialist charity in the UK and Ireland focussed solely on this unique set of circumstances and so this role provides a rare opportunity to make a significant difference to women their partners and their families.
What we’re looking for from You:
· To share your knowledge and experience with us be it work, lived or otherwise.
· Help us to open our eyes and be a conversation starter.
· The ability to think long term to contribute to our growth and sustainable future.
· To act as an ambassador for the charity, promoting our work and creating opportunities for our development
· The ability to comment, challenge or question in a way that is constructive and supportive and collaborate.
· The ability to attend meetings and commit to occasional external functions.
· Life experience – bring yourself, your successes and challenges you have faced or do face currently.
· Experience of being in meeting environment
· Experience of planning
· Desirable but not essential experience in the following areas: Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion; Midwifery; Obstetrics; Education
· Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way for the Charity.
· Develop the knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees.
· Encourage positive change where appropriate and support the resolution of any conflicts within the Board.
· Oversight of the skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the charity effectively.
· Ensure the diversity of the Board is as reflective of the community we aim to serve as possible, embedding a culture which recognises the strengths which a diverse Board of Trustees brings to the effectiveness and relevance of Mummy’s Star.
· Over 18
· Not bankrupt.
· Subject to satisfactory references
· Not excluded by Companies House or Charity Commission
· Conflicts of interest that would be so significant as to undermine the role in general.
· E.g., was a member of a group that discriminated against people based on gender or ethnicity.
- trustee-pack-0-.docx - Download