Who we are
The NBN Trust is a specialist charity dedicated to providing the evidence needed to protect and restore the UK’s wildlife. We believe that the adage “What gets measured gets done” applies in nature conservation just as it applies in business, and we take pride in sharing the biodiversity data needed for nature’s recovery: data to plan, to set targets, and to measure and monitor progress.
We’re seeking talented and committed people to sustain and extend the range of skills
represented on our board. In this recruitment campaign, we are looking to appoint up to four
new Trustees to our board. We wish to diversify our Board and we welcome and encourage
applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability,
race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or other
category protected by law.
• Commitment to the purpose and ethos of the NBN Trust.
• Commitment to equal opportunities and the promotion of diversity.
• Independence of thought and judgement.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Willingness to devote time, enthusiasm and effort to the duties and responsibilities of
• Willingness to undertake training where required and participate in the evaluation of
the board’s work.
Aptitude and skills
• An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of
• Ability to evaluate and interpret information.
• Ability to play a strategic role to successfully effect change and meet the objectives of
the NBN Trust.
• Eagerness to reflect, learn and share.
Knowledge and experience
• Desirable – An awareness and understanding of the nature statutory bodies
Specific professional knowledge, experience and skills in at least one of the following areas:
➢ Data. We’re looking for applicants who share our passion for data and have expertise
in big data management, data visualisation and impact measurement. We want to be
the experts in the data that we manage, and there’s huge untapped potential.
➢ Technology. The NBN Atlas is a major platform built on open-source code, with a
complex digital architecture. We’d welcome applications from individuals with
experience of leading the development and management of complex systems and
high-performing software development teams.
➢ Business development. We’re currently exploring opportunities to leverage our data
management and software development skills to create a commercial income stream
that contributes to the charity’s mission and financial sustainability. We’re looking for
applicants with experience in the start-up/scale-up of commercial products and
services, particularly in the digital, data or environmental sectors.
➢ Financial strategy and management. As we seek to grow and diversify our income,
and as we take on the delivery of multiple externally-funded projects, we must ensure
that our Board has the skills and experience to maintain financial oversight and guide
- nbn-trustee-candidate-recruitment-pack-july-0-.pdf - Download