Who we are
Safe Steps is a specialist provider, delivering services in Southend, Thurrock, and other areas of Essex. We offer a range of community services to support women, men, young people and children to rebuild their lives after domestic abuse. Operating from the Dove Centre, we take the dedication and pioneering work of the Southend Women’s’ Aid and SOS Domestic Abuse Projects over the last 40 years into the next 40.
Safe Steps is a new and forward-thinking charity that works with and for all survivors of domestic abuse, across Southend-on-Sea and in the wider Essex area. If you have experience and skills, such as Human Resources, Fundraising or GDPR we would encourage you to apply.
As well as growing the size of our Board, we’re deepening our commitment to representation. We believe that by having a diverse group we can collectively make better decisions and better serve our beneficiaries. So, in this round of Trustee recruitment, we want to try to achieve a better balance in the voices on our Board. We also particularly welcome people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Intersex (LGBTI) people and people with disabilities to apply.
To reflect this, we don’t ask that you’ve been on a Board before, and full support and guidance will be given.
· To attend a minimum of six meetings per year that last approximately 2 hours and usually take place on a Wednesday or mid-week evening either in person or via Zoom/Teams
· To attend in person two away-days per year
· To attend ad-hoc fundraising or special events
Statutory duties of a Trustee would be:
· To ensure the organisation complies with its governing document – the Articles of Association.
· To ensure that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document.
· To ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives – the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objectives, no matter how ‘charitable’ and ‘worthwhile’ those activities are.
· To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, and evaluating performance against agreed targets, To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
· To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
· To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
· To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds.
Interview and further participation: In light of COVID19, all interviews will take place via Zoom or Teams.
For further information and an application pack, please email the Chair of Trustees at [email protected]