Who we are
Sharesoc exists to improve the investment experience and to represent the best interests of individuals who invest in shares, funds or bonds.
ShareSoc actively runs campaigns and forums to improve situations that are detrimental to individual investors; campaigns may engage with the Government, individual companies, or other organisations where appropriate.
The Role and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that ShareSoc’s Board is effective in its task of setting and implementing the organisation’s direction and strategy.
- Represent ShareSoc’s aims and policies to the outside world.
- Provide non-exec leadership to the Board.
- Oversee the adoption, delivery and communication of the organisation’s governance model.
- Take responsibility for the Board’s composition and development.
- Plan and conduct the Board meetings.
- Ensure the Board focuses on its key tasks with the support of existing committees.
- Participate in the development and implementation of an operational framework to support the organisation’s continued growth.
- Enable the Non-Executive Directors to fulfil their duties and responsibilities and to be effective stewards of ShareSoc.
- Chair meetings of the Board effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process.
- The Chair will be responsible for creating the conditions for overall Board and individual director effectiveness.
- Ensure that the Board monitors performance and sets direction in an effective way, and satisfies itself that appropriate action is taken to remedy problems as they arise.
- Provide leadership to and oversight of ShareSoc’s General Manager
- Be a champion for all the members and work with the Board to further craft and shape a vision of ShareSoc for the future, which is compelling, ambitious and realisable.
- Be a passionate advocate for and practitioner of the highest standards of corporate governance.
ShareSoc is now looking for a Chair with investing/stock market experience and a deep interest in governance issues to lead the Board through the next stage in the organisation’s development.
The Role will be attractive to the right candidate as an opportunity to influence and improve the investment environment for individual investors and to play a key role in developing ShareSoc into a much larger, more influential, and effective organisation.
- The Chair’s time will be spent primarily on the following responsibilities:-
- Preparation for and attendance at 6 bi-monthly Board meetings and one AGM per year (there is also the opportunity to be involved in committee work)
- Providing leadership to and oversight of ShareSoc’s General Manager with a brief to raise the profile and increase membership.
- Where appropriate, be the public face of ShareSoc in the media or with the Government.
Benefits to You:
If you enjoy networking and collaborating with like-minded individuals, professionals, and stakeholders who share your passion for the cause, then this Role will certainly help expand your personal and professional network across the financial markets and government/regulators.