Who we are
Social Link provides a varied service for adults aged over 18 years in South Buckinghamshire who have a disability, be it physical, mental or Asperger's. We aim to help all who, because of their disability, have limited opportunities for social contact and inclusion in their communities. We pride ourselves on focusing on what individuals can achieve irrespective of ability. Our members come from a diverse range of backgrounds with an equally broad range of abilities, and we are driven to help them to grow as an individual, learn, make friends and enjoy trying many new and stimulating experiences.
The Social Link Day Project runs from Tuesday to Friday and provides a schedule of activities which is broad in spectrum including activities to educate and encourage physical well-being. Many of these take place at our premises in High Wycombe and Aylesbury, such as music, art, cooking, sports, dance and Zumba. But it is when we take trips out into the community that our members experience new things to increase their understanding of the world around them whilst boosting their confidence. In the past, our members have attempted raft building, rock climbing and Zorbing, to name but a few. We also host evening clubs in Wycombe and Aylesbury, both of which are growing popularity due to their vibrancy.
Social Link is a charity based in High Wycombe and Aylesbury providing a range of services for adults with learning disabilities, enabling them to meet new people, make new friends, develop skills for independence and enjoy stimulating activities. Everybody within Social Link believes in promoting an individual’s abilities and experiencing life to their fullest potential.
Trustees are key to guiding, directing and safeguarding Social Link as a responsible and forward-thinking charity. We would like to increase the size of our current board to ensure that we have the necessary skills in-house for stability and responsiveness.
Six Trustee meetings per year lasting approximately two hours
Plus (non-compulsory) attendance at fundraising events throughout the year (max five).
Trustee meetings held at Social Link, 150A West Wycombe Road, High Wycombe, HP12 3AE and other local venues. Fundraising events held at various locations across South Bucks.
· To ensure that the charity and its representatives function within the law and in line with the Social Link policies.
· To maintain financial sustainability.
· Continually striving for best practice in governance that adds to client and public confidence and trust in the charity.
· To determine the overall direction and development of the charity through good governance and clear strategic planning.
· To maintain absolute confidentiality about all sensitive/confidential information received in the course of trustee’s responsibilities to the charity.
· Ideally, the candidate will have:
· Sskills and experience in at least one of the following areas:
· Charity law
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
What we can offer you:
· Gain experience of working within a small but fast-growing charity
· Meet new people and build your own network
· An opportunity to give back to the community
· Gain insight into the challenges faced by adults with learning disabilities
· Provide a sense of accomplishment.
Out of pocket expenses incurred in the fulfilment of the Trustee role will be reimbursed against receipts.
The appointment of a new Trustee is subject to satisfactory DBS, insolvency, Companies House and Charity Commission checks.