Who we are
South Kent Mind, the mental health charity, aims to ensure that anyone living in south Kent (Deal, Dover, Folkestone, Hythe, Romney Marsh and surrounding villages) with a mental health problem has somewhere to turn for advice and support.
We are looking for an accountant or qualified financial professional to fulfil this role. Responsibilities will include:
1. Ensuring that financial information is presented to trustees to allow informed decisions to be made.
2. Providing viewpoints which are independent/detached from the day to day activity of the organisation. These should be balanced between funding opportunities, motivating stakeholders and safeguarding the long term viability of the organisation.
3. Chairing the Finance Committee and taking part in decision making where it is not practical to involve all trustees.
4. Ensuring that proper financial controls and procedures are maintained at all times and to act on concerns raised by the annual audit.
5. Presenting monthly accounts, annual report.
6. Presenting formal financial statement and report of key points to the annual general meeting. Answering any related questions in an understandable way.
7. Developing financial related policies and translating them to ongoing activities.
8. Responsibility for ensuring that all monies owed are paid in accordance with agreed contracts and where possible monies are collected in a timely manner. That all contracts are entered into on an ethical and moral basis.
9. Where required, providing interpretation of official returns and relating them to the organisation’s books.
10. Making available financial knowledge/experience to the organisation and answering ad hoc queries as they arise.
11. Working with the Finance Officer to ensure they have the correct tools and guidance to complete the daily financial activities, budget forecast comparisons and annual books to auditable standards.
It is important to note that, although the Honorary Treasurer ensures that these responsibilities are met, much of the work may be delegated to a finance sub-committee and paid staff.