Who we are
St Barnabas Hospices offers specialist palliative care through two hospices: St Barnabas House adult hospice in Worthing and Chestnut Tree House children’s hospice near Arundel in Sussex. We also have offices based in Eastbourne and Worthing, and Retail shops across Sussex.
St Barnabas Hospices is comprised of two hospices – St Barnabas House and Chestnut Tree House.
St Barnabas provides specialist palliative care to adults in the Worthing, Adur, Arun and Henfield areas through a range of services, including in-patient care, a Hospice@Home team and community living well services.
And Chestnut Tree House is the children’s hospice for East and West Sussex and South East Hampshire, providing specialist palliative care for children and young people with life-shortening conditions.
Our people are the key to providing this care – our frontline care teams, support teams and fundraisers all play a vital role in making a difference to people’s lives, and this starts right at the top with our Board of Trustees.
Over the next 5 years we are planning to reach more people than ever before. Come and join us in making excellent palliative care for everyone in our communities a reality.
To find out more about our work please click here to visit our website.
The Board of St Barnabas Hospices are looking to recruit a new Treasurer to the organisation, as our existing one steps down.
The Board is seeking a Treasurer to join the Board. Previous experience of being a charity trustee and / or Treasurer would be an advantage but is by no means essential.
All Trustees are also Directors of the Board and members of the incorporated charitable company. They are asked to promote the Hospices mission and values, provide high quality governance in accordance with the requirements of charity law and good practice, guide its strategic development, monitor the performance of its senior leadership and support its work by drawing on their personal contacts and experience.
A strong commitment to the local community is a pre-requisite, as is proximity to the Hospices as meetings are held face to face.
St Barnabas Hospices has gone through a significant period of change over the last couple of years and we are about to embark on the first year of our five-year strategy. We have new care strategies in place at both hospices and a newly published People Plan.
This is an exciting time to join a committed Board of Trustees whose ambition is to lead the organisation through the next phase of its journey.
As Treasurer you will also be responsible for the following:
1. Ensuring St Barnabas Hospices meets its financial and governance obligations by:
• making sure that St Barnabas Hospices operates within the legal and financial guidelines set out in current legislation;
• ensuring, in conjunction with the CEO and FD, adequate financial controls are in place and that St Barnabas Hospice operates within a sound financial framework;
• ensuring, in conjunction with the FD, that all financial dealings are accounted for;
• working with the CEO and FD, to gain assurance that the financial information presented is appropriate, comprehensive and accurate;
• working with the CEO and FD, advising the Board on the financial implications of its strategy and policy objectives;
• alongside the FD, managing the process of appointing financial auditors to St Barnabas.
To find out more about the role, please download our Candidate Information Pack.
There are currently four formal board meetings a year, with seminar meetings held on occasion which provide an opportunity for the Board to delve into areas in more detail.
Each board member is expected to sit on at least one committee. Physical attendance at Board and committee meetings is encouraged. All meetings take place at one of our Hospices.
How to Apply:
Please provide us with:
• An up to date CV detailing your relevant experience and including the details of two referees (who will not be contacted without your prior consent).
• A supporting statement addressing the criteria in the person specification and your motivations for applying.
All applications should be sent to [email protected] with your full name and St Barnabas Hospices in the subject heading.
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or if you would like to have an informal and confidential discussion about the role, alternatively please contact Melissa Baxter on: [email protected] | 07789 985 229
Closing date for applications: Friday 29th September 2023
Interviews with St Barnabas: 23rd and 24th October 2023
- st-barnabas-candidate-information-pack-0-.pdf - Download