Who we are
StreetVet is a multi-award winning registered charity, established in 2016. We have performed over 7,500 free consultations for pets of people with no fixed abode.
The focus of the charity is for volunteer vets and veterinary nurses to provide essential, free of charge, veterinary services to those in need, primarily those who would struggle to access veterinary care through other providers due to lack of mobility, finances or trust. We operate in 17 towns, cities and regions around the UK.
Our Top Priorities
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic volunteer to work with the staff and Board as a trustee to give legal and risk guidance on all aspects of the charity’s activities. Ensuring obligations are met in a legally compliant manner. To input into the strategy and capability of this rapidly growing national charity, whilst embedding good governance. As a young charity we still need practical, hands on support from the trustees in their area of expertise while we work to mature into an organization where the trustees can focus on a purely governance role.
Broad Description of Role
- Contribute actively as a member of the Board of Trustees to provide strategic direction, set overall strategy and policy, set targets and evaluate performance
- Oversee all legal and risk aspects and ensure it is undertaken legally, honestly and accountably
- Work with the Managing Director, wider staff team and Board of Trustees to develop and implement any legal and risk frameworks to strengthen our sustainability and integrity internally and with wider stakeholders.
- Overview the development and use of campaigns, social media and celebrity engagement so they’re undertaken within contractual agreements
Who we’re looking for – knowledge and experience
- Demonstrable experience of legal and risk ethics at a trustee level
- A thorough understanding of the Third Sector, Charity Commission legislation and charity governance
- Awareness of the challenges a small charity can face in a fast-developing infrastructure
- Familiarisation of compliance with the Charitable Incorporated Organisation Constitution, company law and other relevant legislation and best practice
- Support with the organisation to assess areas of legal risk
- Excellent networking, influencing and communication skills
- Active support of fundraising programme
- Help to create a culture of philanthropy
Input and Time Commitment:
- Attend quarterly board meetings, most commonly evenings or weekends lasting 1 – 2 hours
- Attend annual conference – usually 2 days in London
- Attend annual strategic review
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Good time management and personal motivation, and ability to work flexibly with a small fast-growing organisation
- Belief in the vision, mission and values of StreetVet
How to apply:
If you are interested in joining StreetVet please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
- streetvet-trustee-board-legal-risk-trustee-june-0-.docx - Download