Who we are
The Avenues Youth Project guides children and young people to explore and develop new skills, connect with their peers and with our trusted staff, and find their confidence.
Our purpose-built youth centre has been a free-to-access, safe space for young people since 1979, in a West London community that suffers amongst the worst levels of child poverty in the country. We are open 6 days a week, 48 weeks a year, and all our programmes are free to access, with food also provided at most sessions.
As our new treasurer, you will be responsible for overseeing the financial management of The Avenues, ensuring transparency, compliance and effective financial decision-making.
You will play an integral role in ensuring the charity is on a stable financial footing and able to continue to provide much-needed services to the community at a time when little other support is available.
This is a voluntary position with an estimated time commitment of up to five hours per month plus Executive Committee meetings and Finance Sub-Committee meetings (either in person or virtually).
What are we looking for?
You will have:
· Appropriate professional financial qualification.
· Experience in financial management and oversight, preferably in a charitable or non-profit organisation. Our charity has an annual income of around £1m.
· Strong understanding of financial regulations and reporting requirements.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate financial information to diverse audiences.
· Knowledge of budgeting, financial planning and risk management.
· Commitment to the mission and values of The Avenues.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and with lived experience or experience of volunteering in local communities. We are passionate about ensuring a strong mix on our Executive Committee with people from varying backgrounds, experiences and skills. We believe that we can serve our children and young people better if we have a good balance of voices throughout our organisation.
Outside and/or Inside office hours (we are flexible).
Estimate of time needed: 1-5 hours per month.
Executive committee meetings last 2 hours, 5 times a year, plus shorter AGM.
Finance sub-committee meetings last 1.5 hours, 5 times a year, and occasional ad hoc meetings.
An annual trustees’ awayday (usually held on a Saturday).
- the-avenues---treasurer-job-description-dec-23---trustees-unlimited.pdf - Download