Who we are
The British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) was founded in 1982 and is dedicated to helping & protecting hedgehogs native to the UK (Erinaceus europaeus).
Through campaigns, advocacy and educational projects we work to raise awareness of the practical steps we can take to help reverse the decline of hedgehogs in the wild, improve their welfare and safeguard the future of this much-loved animal. We also fund research that provides important new insights into hedgehog conservation & welfare.
We currently have two opportunities to join our board of Trustees. Please note that the positions are voluntary, though out of pocket expenses will be met.
A sustainable thriving hedgehog population in the UK
To protect the future and welfare of native British hedgehogs and help people better to understand and respect wildlife through education, conservation and the funding of cutting-edge research focussed on hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus).
The Charity is going through an exciting period of growth and these positions would suit enthusiastic and committed individuals who have the necessary time to devote to the role.
Trustee Role Purpose
As a Trustee, you will be responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the Charity, developing its aims, objectives and goals in accordance with guidelines.
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with fundraising and compliance experience and would welcome all applicants with the appropriate skill set.
Trustee responsibilities include:
· Ensuring that the Charity complies with guidelines and legislation.
· Making sure that the Charity pursues its defined goals.
· Monitoring the financial position of the Charity and ensuring that it operates within its means and that there are clear lines of accountability for financial management
· Contributing to the board of Trustees’ role of providing strategic direction and supporting the development of policies, goals and targets.
· Maintaining the good name of the Charity.
· Leading discussions and providing guidance on new initiatives, particularly in areas where the Trustee has specific skills, knowledge or expertise.
· Regularly attending and taking a full part in meetings. The board meets (on a Tuesday) in Worcestershire, once every quarter.
· Attending seminars and networking events when required.
Skills & Qualifications
We are seeking two new Trustees with specific skills and experience in compliance and fundraising., In addition, Trustees are expected to have the following skills:
· Commitment to the goals and aims of the Charity.
· Be able to devote the required time to the role.
· The ability to make good independent judgements.
· Understanding the importance of carrying out required legal duties.
· Proven strategic abilities that can be used to create effective plans.
· Strength of character coupled with the ability to voice concerns and opinions.
· Proven experience working as a member of successful teams.
· Integrity and objectivity which can be applied to all aspects of the role.
If you are interested in applying to be a Trustee, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter explaining what you can offer the Society to Fay Vass, CEO, BHPS, Hedgehog House, Dhustone, Ludlow, SY8 3PL (email [email protected]). Closing date 22nd March 2024.