Who we are
The Equality Trust (TET) is the national charity that campaigns to improve the quality of life in the UK by dismantling structural inequalities of income, wealth and power. Our vision is of a more equal society, where everyone can live in dignity, with a good quality of life, able to reach their full potential. The need for effective, evidence-based and co-produced solutions to dismantle structural inequalities has never been clearer. We are working at national and local levels, across grassroot
What are we looking for in a trustee?
The qualities we seek in all of our trustees are:
- Passionate about the aims of TET and keen to contribute to our work
- Have a strong understanding of inequality and related issues
- Understanding of, or willingness to learn about, the role of a trustee; desire to lead the organisation, to support and stretch staff, to unite on its strategy, to steward the assets and to look after its future
- Willing and able to take on trustee and company director responsibilities for an initial three year term
We have three different opportunities open in this recruitment drive: Chair, Treasurer, and general trustees. To complement the existing range of skills of our trustees, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from people with experience in:
- HR, to help bolster our strategic and operational approaches to staffing, including ensuring that we are leading as a fair and inclusive employer
- Academic research around inequality, to further boost our strong connections with institutions and individuals providing the evidence and insight we need to persuade decision makers across all sectors of the need for change
- Fundraising from foundations and major donors
We encourage applications from anyone with lived experience of the issues to which inequality gives rise, even if you do not have the specific technical experience outlined above, to ensure that our Board has the empathy and focus which make for effective strategy.
How is The Equality Trust governed?
TET is a charity and a company limited by guarantee and is run by a Board of Trustees (who are also the company directors). The Board normally meets four times a year, with additional quarterly meetings for both the Finance subcommittee and Fundraising subcommittee. Board meetings are a mix of in-person and online, while all subcommittee meetings take place online. The Trustee role is voluntary with reimbursement for expenses.
In addition to the Board meetings outlined above, two Trustees sit on the Joint Negotiation and Consultation Committee for The Equality Trust’s recognised staff union, the IWGB. Depending on your interest and experience, you may be invited to join that committee.
Trustees are responsible for setting the strategic direction and for the financial oversight of TET, ensuring we comply with relevant regulations and supporting the paid staff of the charity to deliver on our mission.
All Trustee terms are for three years, with the possibility of re-appointment for a further term. For the Chair role, an individual can only serve as Chair for a maximum of two terms.
- the-equality-trust_-trustee-recruitment-pack-0-.pdf - Download