Who we are
The Story Museum celebrates Stories. From our unusual museum in Oxford, we’re on a mission to enrich lives, especially young lives, through our ever-growing collection of stories, immersive exhibitions, theatre shows, skill clubs, courses, live events and co-creation projects. Annually, we reach over 100k people, half of whom are under the age of 18. Our Learning, Access and Participation programme includes partnerships with schools and community organisations in areas of disadvantage.
To be read alongside information pack.
Role & Person Specification – Trustee (Finance)
- Fulfil the duties as set out in the terms of reference
- Engage fully and offer support in the area of financial oversight, commercial opportunities, business and strategic planning
- Sit on the Finance & Estates Committee and other ad-hoc groups where they align to their area of expertise and interest.
We invite the Trustee (Finance) to support the CEO and Exec team to:
- Deliver the 5 year forward financial plan including income targets to increase TSM’s financial sustainability and organisational resilience
- Provide ‘check and challenge’ scrutiny of the management accounts, statutory accounts and annual budget
- Maintain a professional working relationship with The Story Museum’s auditors and deliver a clear and compliant set of statutory accounts each year
- Maximise the commercial success of our shop, café, hires and other creative enterprise activities where they align with our mission and creative programme.
The successful candidate will bring current and/or extensive experience of working in the commercial sector, with a role that is focused on or includes significant responsibility for financial planning. The following skills, experience and qualities are essential:
- Experience of being directly accountable for the financial success of a business or charity
- Strong financial acumen
- A clear understanding of financial planning and statutory accounts
- Evident leadership qualities: strategic thinker, clear and persuasive communicator, and an effective networker
- A synergy with the aims and values of The Story Museum
- A demonstrable commitment to inclusion and diversity, and anti-racism
- Ability to attend occasional meetings and events at The Story Museum, Oxford
Desirable skills, experience and qualities include:
- Familiarity with mixed income models or charity finance
- Experience of serving on the board or committee of a charity, CIC or B Corps
- Active cultural participation.
- story-museum-trustee-recruitment-pack-may-0-.pdf - Download