Who we are
Vache Baroque produces vibrant events that inform, challenge, and entertain both new and seasoned audiences. These events are a platform for emerging artists to play, sing, dance, act, design, and create alongside some of the industry’s leading lights and to tell old stories in contemporary ways. Just a stone’s throw from London, the main festival is held at the end of August and beginning of September in the grounds of The Vache, an historic stately home located in the heart of the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
By observing and questioning the traditional access to classical music, we aim to nurture a sense of belonging in all our artists and to engage with audience members, regardless of age, race, financial position, or experience of music. Via the gateway of the Baroque era, we want to introduce young people from diverse backgrounds to the joy of live classical music and its many benefits, to inspire their creativity, and to invite them to build bridges between our past and present.
With an exciting 2022 programme lined up, we are looking for up to three dynamic individuals with a passion for vibrant live events, baroque music, and educational music projects to join our four founding trustees. We are particularly looking for trustees with legal, accountancy, IT, fundraising, or industry-specific (music performance & education) expertise to join our board and help this charity grow. We are also keen to recruit trustees local to Buckinghamshire, however this is not a requirement.
The main festival is held in late August and early September in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, HP8 4SD. In 2022, there are also some planned activities in London.
Thus far, board meetings have been held remotely via Zoom (we were founded during the pandemic!). We envisage this to continue or for meetings to become a mixture of online and in person, depending on what is most accessible for our Board Members.
TIME COMMITMENT & RESPONSIBILITES
Hours are usually ‘out of office’ (weekday evenings) and estimated at 0 - 5 hours per month. Board meetings usually last 1.5 - 2 hours and, going forward, will be held three to four times a year.
Board members are expected to:
- Attend quarterly Board Meetings (including a shorter Annual General Meeting)
- Prepare for Board Meetings by reviewing materials sent beforehand
- Offer additional advice via email or over the phone as per expertise, and/or take part in Board sub-groups (i.e. recruitment, fundraising)
- Attend performances whenever possible
- Act as a spokesperson and advocate for Vache Baroque
- Make sure Vache Baroque abides by the Charities Commission regulations and its own constitution
- Discuss and decide on policies
- Ensure Vache Baroque’s financial stability
- Provide general support for Vache Baroque, in particular to its management team
We are looking for individuals who are excited about supporting an organisation in its early stages and helping it to grow. Being a Vache Baroque Trustee is an opportunity to play a pivotal role in the direction of all aspects of our festival. We are looking for people from diverse backgrounds and a variety of ages who are:
- Excited by vibrant live events
- Passionate about the transformative power of the arts, in particular music
- Enthusiastic but diplomatic and tactful
- Independent thinkers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to network on behalf of the charity
- Willing to devote time to supporting the Vache Baroque management team to make the organisation’s activity a success
We would be particularly pleased to hear from individuals who are resident in Buckinghamshire & engaged with the local arts scene, or with:
- Legal expertise, particularly knowledge of charity or equality law
- Accountancy expertise
- IT expertise
- Fundraising experience
- Experience of running creative educational projects
- Experience of running professional performances
Please email our administrator, Emma Elliot ([email protected]) with:
- Your CV
- A written (no more than one side of A4), filmed or audio recorded statement detailing your relevant experience and why you would like to become a Vache Baroque Trustee.
- Details of two referees (we will not contact them without asking your permission)
The deadline to apply is 5pm on Friday 4th February 2022. If you have any questions about the role or process, please get in touch. Emma would be happy to set up phone calls with Jeremy Lewison (trustee, chairman), Heather Wakefield (trustee), and/or Jonathan Darbourne (artistic director). We will meet a shortlist of applicants over Zoom 9th - 11th February 2022.
We are committed to equality and diversity within our workforce and in all opportunities. Our recruitment process is open to all, including applications from people from Black, Asian and ethnically diverse backgrounds, those who identify as LGBTQ+, those from lower socio-economic backgrounds and those who identify as disabled.
- Vache-Baroque-Trustee-Info-Pack-1.pdf - Download