Who we are
Think Malawi is an innovative UK based charitable Trust run 100% by volunteers. We work hand in hand with Malawians to improve access to quality education, allowing them to fulfil their ambitions, improve their quality of life and contribute to Malawi’s development. The charity is formed of seven trustee roles, and a network of volunteers and supporters. We are also in the process of setting up an advisory group which the trustees can consult for any specialist advice which they need.
We have supported Ganet’s Adventure School since shortly after it was founded in 2004 by its energetic director, Gertrude Banda, in a village in northern Malawi, who continues to run the school today. It provides primary schooling in classes of under 40 in an area where government primary school class sizes are often 100 or more. It also provides pre-schooling which is not available elsewhere in the area.
We also support a project called Her Education Matters in partnership with African Vision, which aims to improve educational outcomes for girls in Malawi. It does this by providing training, materials and equipment to mothers who make reusable sanitary pads for girls to use, enabling them to stay in school when they have their periods. Without this they miss up to five days of school per month which significantly affects their education.
· Provide strategic advice to the charity and its programmes in Malawi
· To be an active board member
· Along with other trustees, ensure the charity complies with its governing document and its legal obligations
· Participate in fundraising projects
· Help to communicate the charity's work and foster new partnerships
· Work with volunteers and stakeholders in the UK and Malawi
· Initiate and run projects and initiatives for the charityThere is scope for trustees to specialise in specific areas, including overseeing operations, governance, fundraising, marketing, legal and volunteer management.Essential knowledge/skills
· Willingness to be hands on in projects you're involved in
· A positive approach
E Expertise in devising and implementing marketing, PR and/or social media campaigns
· Knowledge of Malawi or Africa
· Entrepreneurial and innovation expertise
· Experience working in the education, not for profit or charity sectors
· Hands-on marketing, PR and/or social media experience
· Working with volunteers
- Marketing-trustee-role-2.docx - Download