Who we are
Transition Network supports the Transition movement, amplifies stories of community-led change, and nurtures collaborations across difference to challenge us all to reimagine and rebuild our world.
Transition Network is a charity which works to inspire, encourage, connect, support and train communities world-wide as they self-organise around the Transition model.
We work in service to the international movement of self-organising Transition groups and Hubs, and others who are creating community-led change for a sustainable and just future founded on wellbeing. From our place within the movement, we encourage Transition to spread and evolve. We facilitate the sharing of inspiration and learning, identify common needs and exciting possibilities, and curate and develop tools, training and resources. We cultivate peer-to-peer support and build capacity across the movement.
The following skills, experiences and qualities are ones we see as important to have within and across our group of trustees. It is not expected that any trustee will meet all of these criteria, but skills and experience that it would be particularly desirable for our new trustee/s to have.
- Understanding and alignment with the aims, values, principles and practices of Transition Network and the Transition movement.
- Committed to maintaining high levels of trust and openness between trustees, the Transition Network team and the wider Transition movement.
- Willingness to experiment, access creativity, and bring whole self to the role.
- Experience as a storyteller, with the ability to tell stories about the way we work.
- Understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship, and/or previous experience of charity or voluntary organisation governance.
- Experience of fundraising, connections with funders, and/or experience of income generation or social entrepreneurship
- Experience of financial management of an organisation.
- Experience of developing and applying Human Resources practices and policies, particularly around equalities and diversity.
- Legal experience or knowledge.
- Ability to listen to and collaborate with people across different levels of scale, from local through to international, and across multiple cultures and countries in an inclusive and empowering way.
- Personal resilience - a commitment to self-care and the ability to remain grounded in the midst of uncertainty and the potentially overwhelming global context.
- Willingness to engage in an ongoing exploration of healthy collaborative culture and the skills, attitudes and practices which support us to work effectively across difference.
- Experience of, or willingness to engage with, what leadership looks and feels like within a collaborative/ shared governance context, and willing to understand, use and experiment with practices such as consent-based decision-making and governance circles.
- Experience of organisational capacity-building and/or strategic planning.
- Experience of evaluating and monitoring an organisation’s impact and effectiveness.
- Mentoring skills and experience, and/or skills and experience in conflict resolution.We encourage applicants to suggest other experiences and skills that could be equally or more important than those listed above.
- TN-Trustee-Information-Pack-2021-1.pdf - Download