Who we are
New Beginnings Reading was founded in May 2017 in a direct response to rising poverty and homelessness in Reading. Our charity aims are to provide relief from the effects of poverty, financial hardship and homelessness to people in Reading, Berkshire. Our first service was launched in June 2018 after a year of refurbishing the Queens Arms. Businesses, individuals, churches and schools volunteered alongside the charity trustees to transform a derelict pub, into an alcohol and drug free sanctuary. We support up to 230 people each week across our three services. This number is made up of families and individuals experiencing financial hardship, poverty and homelessness in Reading, Berkshire.
- A commitment to the organisation
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak your mind
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- A willingness to be available for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
- Financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences