Who we are
We are currently recruiting for new Trustees to join our Board of Trustees with experience of people and culture, organisational change and executive communications. This is an incredibly exciting time to join Imperial College Union.
Last year we launched our new strategic plan, designed to guide our charity to become a highly effective, impactful and sustainable organisation. Joining us means joining a Board responsible for the strategic direction of our charity. Being a trustee in a students’ union is an extremely rewarding experience. You will get the opportunity to work in close partnership with student representatives, many of whom are just embarking on their leadership journey. This is a fantastic opportunity to mentor and support our future leaders, imparting your own experience and industry knowledge to help them develop and thrive.
We are an exciting, inclusive membership charity and our core purpose is to represent, support and empower all 20,000 students studying at Imperial College London. We work in close partnership with Imperial College London and are proud to deliver services to support students studying at one of the world’s truly outstanding higher education institutions.
Imperial College Union is one of the oldest students’ unions in the UK. We exist to support and empower Imperial students, to ensure they get the most from their university experience. There is so much that makes Imperial College Union special. We are lucky to work in a historic campus environment located in a bustling, beautiful part of London. Imperial students are some of the highest performing and dedicated students in the world. They are hugely committed to their university education and want to get the most from their experience. This means they are incredibly engaged and keen to participate in the activities we offer.
More information about Imperial College Union can be found at https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/
We are interested in receiving applications from individuals keen to provide strategic direction to our organisation and work with us to ensure we develop and thrive in the future. As a trustee you will focus on:
• Helping ensure that we comply with any charity law, rules and regulations governing our work
• Actively contributing to Board discussions to provide clear strategic direction for our charity
• Helping to promote the values and safeguard the reputation of Imperial College Union
• Working collaboratively with other trustees and our Managing Director to contribute to the effective and efficient operations of our organisation
• Ensuring our charity’s governance is of the highest standard.
In addition to the above, we would like to receive applications from individuals experienced in one of the following areas:
• Organisational change: At Imperial College Union, we have been through a period of significant change and are now partway through a complex transformation project. Over the last twelve months we were required to significantly shrink our staffing structure and are now in the process of rebuilding, in line with our new strategic aims. We would greatly value having the skills and expertise of an individual experienced in organisational change on our Board of Trustees, to help guide us through the next phase of our journey.
• People and culture: The last eighteen months have been an incredibly challenging time for Imperial staff and students. We know our people are our best asset and that Imperial College Union is already a great place to work, however we know we can do more. We have begun a review into our people and culture, which will help shape our future direction and ensure we continue to motivate and empower our people to be the best they can be. We would like to bring onto our Board a trustee who has specific experience in people and culture, to help us foster a culture of diversity, empathy and collaboration in all we do.
• Experience/understanding of executive communications: we are looking to bring Trustees onto our board who have experience of developing and delivering internal and external communication strategies via a multitude of communication channels to support various programmes and initiatives across an organisation.
Please download the Candidate Information Pack for further information.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about joining the Imperial College Union board and believe you have the skills and experience we are looking for, please apply with the following:
• An up-to-date CV
• A supporting statement of no more than 2 sides of A4, detailing why you would like to be considered, your relevant experience and expertise and what you think you can bring to the role.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the role, please get in touch with Melissa Baxter on:
[email protected] / 07789 985229
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 25th May 2022
Interview with Imperial College Union: Wednesday 8th June 2022
We look forward to receiving your application.