Who we are
THEATRE HAS THE POWER TO CHANGE LIVES.
We know this from our own personal experiences and observations, but also from research that shows how participation in drama and performing arts activities can improve mental health and wellbeing.
Underground Lights is an independent community theatre (registered charity 1179553) that is run for and by people experiencing homelessness and/or mental health issues. We are a Belgrade Springboard Company, running regular drama/performing arts workshops in association with the Belgrade Theatre Click Spring Programme. Our drama workshops usually run on a Friday afternoon at the Belgrade Theatre (3.30 – 5.30pm) and our Creative Cafés at Shop Front Theatre on a Wednesday morning (10.30 – 12.30pm).
Volunteers are an important and valued part of Underground Lights.
The Underground Lights Board of Trustees meet at least four times a year and are responsible for the successful and legal running of the charity. We're a passionate and committed team – and we're looking for people to help guide us towards success. In particular, we're looking for:
- Someone with an interest and experience in finance
- Someone who is passionate about community theatre in Coventry and Warwickshire
- Someone who is reliable and does what they say they'll do
- Someone who can express an opinion and respectfully disagree with others
- Someone who is unafraid to ask for help – we all make mistakes and find things difficult
- Someone who can keep things confidential – we want to be a very open organisation, but some of the things discussed will be confidential
Although the charity is based in Coventry, this position is well suited to remote working: there is no requirement for you to be based near us. We encourage and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from people who have personal experience of mental health issues and/or homelessness.