Who we are
YMCA DownsLink Group is a charity working to transform the lives of vulnerable young people across Sussex and Surrey. We work to prevent youth homelessness and provide a home to 763 young people every night. We reach a further 10,000 young people and their families through our other key services, such as counselling, support and advice, mediation and youth work, so that all young people can belong, contribute and thrive.
We are looking for Independent Committee Members to bring additional skillsets to our Committees. While we are eager to engage with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and possessing a range of skills, applications are particularly sought from individuals who bring expertise in one or more of the following areas:
➢ Human Resources – with experience at a strategic level advising or operating within organisations or industries that are highly regulated.
➢ Mental health/therapeutic services – with experience of delivering or managing mental health services ideally with children and young people in a relevant context. An understanding of the commissioning environment YMCA DLG is operating within, and the relevant clinical governance and regulatory requirements would also be highly desirable.
➢ Regulated Housing – with senior leadership experience in a relevant context e.g. with a registered supported housing provider or in the housing development sector.
➢ Finance – with strategic financial leadership experience in order to ensure effective oversight and risk management at a governance level.
In addition to the specifications outlined above which pertain to the particular skills we are seeking to attract at this time, the role description below outlines the current main purposes, additional skills, and duties:
Role: Independent Committee Member
Responsible to: The Chair of the Committee
Purpose of the post:
- Contribute to the effective governance of YMCA DLG by complementing the skills and expertise of Board members within the committee.
- Provide skilled and constructive support and challenge to the Executive Team.
- Support and advise the Committee and Board to ensure we are meeting our responsibility for oversight and assurance across our supported housing and young people’s services.
Skills and expertise:
- To contribute to the regular review the charities internal and external audits.
- To ensure that the work of the Charity is compatible and consistent with YMCA Aims and Purposes.
- To ensure that the Charity functions within the regulatory, legal, and financial requirements of a charity striving to achieve best practice.
- To apply skills and knowledge from a relevant professional discipline to the discussions and decisions the Committee and Board make.
- Previous governance or non-executive experience in not for profit or commercial sectors.
- Operated at a Director or professional level.
- Regulated Housing background is desirable but not essential Mental health/therapeutic services background is desirable but not essential
- HR background is desirable but not essential Finance background is desirable but not essential.
- To understand and respect the YMCA Christian ethos. Main duties:
- To attend all meetings and actively participate in the work of the committee.
- To support the committee in reviewing internal audits, including the three-year plan, and management response to audits
- Provide challenge in a constructive manner, and to support and provide advice to the work of the Board and Committee.
- Defining and ensuring compliance with the National Housing Federation’s Code of Governance.
- Establishing and overseeing a framework of delegation and systems of control.
- Agreeing policies and making decisions on matters that pertain to the delegated responsibilities of the committee.
- Monitoring the Charity’s performance.
- Satisfying itself that the Charity’s affairs are conducted lawfully and in accordance with generally accepted standards of performance and propriety
- ymca-dlg-committee-member-recruitment-pack-june-0-final-version.pdf - Download