Who we are
The borough of Kensington and Chelsea is a borough of vast differences, from areas of great wealth to areas of some of the highest deprivation levels in the country. It is also a borough which has been through major periods of challenges and change both historical and current. The most recent being the Grenfell Tower fire and what has happened to the community in the wake of the fire. A motorway being built through the heart of North Kensington and dividing the area was another back in 1960.
KCSC is an organisation that prides itself in being within the heart of the community, with social justice as one of our core values in which we base all of our activities. We have always played a key role in providing support to the local voluntary and community sector and since Grenfell we have strengthened our role within community development, working much more closely with residents and ensuring that they have the opportunities opened up to them so that they can self determine their own futures.
Established in 2002, KCSC is the Council for Voluntary Services for the borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Our vision is to see a thriving community for all and our mission to strengthen and promote local voluntary and community organisations and the communities they work with.
We are a membership organisation, registered as a charity and company limited by guarantee. We are a small organisation with a staff team of 11 which punches above its weight to deliver a wide range of services.
We do this through a range of ways. We have over 400 voluntary and community organisations on our database to whom we aim to provide a range of services which include:
- Advice, guidance and information to help organisations run as effectively as possible such as fundraising, governance and financial and staff management
- We bring voluntary and community groups together to network and help them work together in partnership
- We represent the voluntary and community sector in Kensington and Chelsea at a strategic level, seeking to ensure that statutory bodies take into account the needs of the local voluntary and community sector when developing local strategies.
- We play a key role in community development, working closely with residents to address local issues and to ensure their voices are heard with decision makers
- We have an influencing and leadership role locally, as KCSC seeks to influence local decision making on many matters from housing to health, commissioning to collaborations.
Attend quarterly Board and other board/KCSC development meetings
Contribute your skills, knowledge and experience to aid KCSC’s strategic development
We are seeking skills in:
- Strategic Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Community Development
You will be committed to the furtherance of the voluntary and community sector and its role within civil society. You will be committed to challenging social injustice and to community development and the role the Social Council can play within this. You will have some understanding of what it means to be a trustee and be willing to provide your knowledge and expertise to help the organisation develop strategically.
You will have an opportunity to first observe a board meeting in action prior to a decision to become a trustee.
KCSC’s Board operates under the guidance of the Charity Governance Code and Trustees are appointed on the basis of signing up to the declaration of eligibility and responsibility.
As a trustee you will have opportunities to attend training and conferences to further develop within the role
Skills and knowledge required for the role
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Organisational Development
Closing Date: Monday 18 November 2019
How to Apply
To find out more please contact Angela Spence, CEO of KCSC by telephone (020 7243 9800) or email for an informal discussion. To apply send through your CV which provides details of two referees with a cover letter to Angela Spence at [email protected]